Fraud Blocker

Common Child Support Questions

Can I get my child support amount changed in San Jose?

Either party can request a modification of child support if there has been a significant change in circumstances. Examples include:

  • Job losschild-support
  • Increased pay
  • Incarceration
  • Change in the amount of time the child spends with a parent
  • Change in the child’s needs
  • One of the parents now has another child

The child support amount can go up or down according to the circumstances involved. San Jose child support lawyer Madan Ahluwalia can help you decide if it is in your best interest to request a modification of child support and help you with the process.

I have lost my job, and have no money to pay. Does my child support amount automatically change to reflect my new situation?

No. You need to file for a modification of child support right away. You are still responsible for full child support payments. If you are granted modification, it is only retroactive to the date that you filed your request, not to the day that your circumstances changed.

My ex has agreed to accept lower payments. Do I still have to go to court?

You will need to submit the agreement to the court in writing. This is called a stipulation. The judge has to sign off on it so that it constitutes a new order, or you will still be legally responsible for the original amount. If your local child support agency (LCSA) is involved in your case, the LCSA may have to agree to the change, too. San Jose child support attorney Madan Ahluwalia can help you and your ex make your new child support agreement legally binding, so it protects both of you from future hassles.

To learn more about San Jose child support, please call San Jose child support attorney Madan Ahluwalia of Ahluwalia Law P.C. (408) 416-3149 or contact us online today.